I was both amazed and amused that the components basically added up to a typical country pinto bean dinner except it all got mixed up in one bowl together...with a dressing, of course (it is a salad, after all)!
Obviously, this salad is hearty and can serve as a meal by itself or as a refreshing side dish with the pop of delicious Ranch flavor. As with any bean dinner, if there are leftovers, the flavors actually get better on day 2.
|Cornbread Salad ingredients (partial) - corn, cheese, pinto beans,|
diced onions, tomatoes, peppers and Ranch dressing mix
1 cup of mayonnaise
1 cup of sour cream
4-5 green onions, cleaned & chopped
1-2 tomatoes, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 - 16oz bag of shredded cheddar cheese or a blend
Directions - This is a layered salad...up until it's time to serve, so it's very pretty if you assemble it in a clear serving bowl so the layers are visible. Just before serving, stir the salad.
|Mixed and ready to serve|
- Crumble 1/2 of the cornbread into bottom of serving dish.
- Add one can of pinto beans, spread evenly over cornbread layer.
- Add layer of mixed vegetables using 1/2 of mixture - corn, tomatoes, etc.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of the crumbled bacon and 1/2 of the cheese to form the next layer.
- Add 1/2 of the dressing.
- Repeat layers as above, then cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
[Variations - since the first time I made this, I've had several variations. For instance, if you prefer, red kidney beans can be swapped for the pinto beans. Also, red onion is a good substitute for the green onions. The bacon can be omitted all together, if desired. Finally, about 2 cups of bottle Ranch Dressing can be used instead of the Ranch mix used above.]