The version I am sharing is how we made it tonight. There is no limit to the variations or combinations possible in this dish, so you can tweak it to please the palates in your family, too!
Beefy Bean Burrito Casserole (beans are optional)
1 lb. ground beef, browned
1 sm. onion, diced
1 can green chiles, optional
1/2 pkt Taco Seasoning mix
1- 10 oz. can mild Rotel
1 sm. can pinto beans
1 pkg. shredded Mex blend or Cheddar cheese
2 cups mild picante or salsa
pkg of medium/large tortillas
[Options - meatless, no beans, use the Hot Habaneros Rotel, use shredded chicken instead of beef, etc]
1. Brown ground beef in skillet with onion.
2. In a food processor or with potato masher; mash pinto beans, and blend with Rotel, picante/salsa, green chilies and taco seasoning mix.
3. Add the processed bean-salsa mix to the browned ground beef and allow to simmer.
4. Spread a layer of salsa in bottom of 9x13 casserole dish.
5. Spoon a line of meat mix and cheese on tortilla and roll it up and place in casserole dish. Continue process until you have the dish filled with burritos (ours hold 8-9)...it depends on how much you put in the tortillas.
6. Spread any remaining meat mix over the casserole. If you do not have enough to cover the entire casserole use extra salsa/picante to coat the tops of the burritos, otherwise the tortillas get tough during the baking. You could also cover the casserole with aluminum foil to prevent hardening. Bake at 350 degrees for about 10-15 minutes, then remove and top with cheese. Bake an additional 5-10 minutes, until cheese is melted.
Serve with sour cream, jalapenos, diced tomatoes, salsa, shredded lettuce, diced green onions and/or guacamole.
As our side dish we take a bag of white corn chips and melt cheese over them in the oven for about 5-10 minutes. Occasionally, we serve Spanish rice or cheesy refried beans too.
|A delicious dinner that is both filling and easy to make!|
more hearty recipes for your family...
Sweet Garlic Chicken
Baked Ravioli with Pepperoni
Meat & Potato Casserole - One Dish Dinner!