Caramel Apple Cookies
Apple Pie Filling
Cinnamon Sugar, optional
For other variations
- Sprinkle apple layer with 2 tablespoons of toffee bits.
-use pie filling in your choice of flavors...imagine Cherry, Blueberry or Peach pie Cookies!
- Remove pie crusts from packaging and allow to rest at room temp for 5-10 minutes. Flour work surface and open one of the crusts.
- Spread a thin layer of caramel topping evenly over crust.
- Take the can of pie filling and run a knife through it to mince it to much smaller pieces, then spread about 1/2 to 3/4 of the can over the caramel layer. [I used about 3/4 of the can on my cookies]
- Dust apple layer with cinnamon-sugar.
- Now open the second crust and use a pizza cutter to cut into thin strips to make the lattice tops.
- Using the pie crust strips, create a lattice top over the apple filling. NOTE: I had no previous experience with lattice tops (as you can probably tell), so in case it is new to you, too, here is a nice tutorial.]
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray cookie sheet with non-stick spray.
- Use a round cookie cutter [I used a drinking glass] to cut out your cookies and place them on prepared cookie sheet.
- If desired, at this time, each cookie can be brushed with an egg wash or cream and sprinkled with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until light golden brown.
|I can't wait to try other variations....Mmmm, Peach sounds good too!|