|How To Make - Wood Branch Vase & Pine Cone Flowers|
Once the discs are cut, there is nothing difficult in making this vase, outside of choosing which glue to use. I recommend E6000 to ensure long-term durability, although using hot glue will expedite the completion of the project.
First, I covered the can in a natural burlap to camouflage the gaps between the wood pieces. Burlap is perfect since it is similar in color to the wood. Once you've made your glue choice and covered the coffee can with burlap, the repetitive work begins... it is simply a matter of gluing the wood branch pieces to the large coffee can. It is a little like working a puzzle because you don't want the gaps to be too large between pieces, so there is some effort to fit the wood pieces together for a finished effect (see photo below).
Then I made some decorative pine cone petal flowers to embellish the overall vase design. I also lined the top rim with petals to finish that edge. To add more depth and contrast to the wood pattern, I coated single discs with Mod Podge to darken them up a bit and diminish the fresh-cut wood look. I think I might actually like this version better than the twig version last year.
What is a vase without flowers? I do love working with pine-cone petals, so I took a swing at a pine cone "flower" arrangement.
The first step in this process was painting the pine cones. I used Fall-toned spray paint colors that I had on hand.
|Painted Pine Cone "Flowers"|
Finally, I chose some leaves from a recent raking of the front yard, coated them with Mod Podge (I used a matte finish, but they came out shinier than I expected), and glued them to the flower 'stems'. To help the flowers stand up, I filled the vase with cardboard tubes (tp rolls), which created secure places to insert the 'stems' so that they would not wobble. I am thrilled with the result. AND...this entire project was completed off my shelves without any new purchases: I used paint, wire, and Mod Podge I already had on hand, the coffee can was a refuse rescue, and the rest was supplied by nature, which is always lovely.
Other Shady Porch projects you might like...