|Flavorful & Delicious Smashed Potatoes|
6 red potatoes (Yukon Golds would work well too)
1 T. minced garlic
6 slices fried bacon, crumbled (you can buy pre-cooked bacon pieces)
2 cups - Shredded Cheddar-Jack blend (or your favorite cheese)
2 T. butter
1 T. olive oil (only if you bought pre-cooked bacon, otherwise use bacon grease)
Optional - I like to add chives from time-to-time but there are other herbs that you might prefer that would also enhance the flavors.
- Boil the potatoes until fork tender.
- Place potatoes on lightly oiled baking sheet
- Take a potato masher or use the bottom of a glass to smash the potatoes
- In a separate skillet, fry bacon. Once bacon is cooked remove from skillet and drain on paper towels.
- In the same skillet, using no more than 1T. of the bacon grease plus 2 Tbs. butter, cook 1 T. of minced garlic (you could cook onions at this time, if you would like to add those to your potatoes!...we do!). Just cook long enough to heat the garlic and to infuse the butter and bacon grease with the garlic flavor.
- Using a pastry brush or a spoon spread the butter/garlic mix evenly over each potato.
- Sprinkle each potato with Kosher salt and pepper.
- Optional - Add chives or favorite herb at this time too.
- Bake potatoes for 20-30 minutes at 350 F to allow the top to crisp up some.
- While potatoes are hot crumble bacon over each potato.
- Top each potato with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and shredded Cheddar-Jack.
- Pop back in oven until the cheese is thoroughly melted.
|Smashed Potatoes with bacon, garlic and cheese|
Follow The Shady Porch
If you prefer, you may want to subscribe via Email: