|Hearty & Wholesome Brown Beef Stew|
3 lbs beef chuck, bite-sized cubes
1/3 cup flour
1 onion, chopped
1 T. minced garlic
2 T. Worcestershire sauce
1-2 bag(s) of frozen stew vegetables [potatoes, carrots, onions]
1 32oz. container of beef broth
1/4 t. thyme
1 bay leaf
1. Place 1/3 cup of flour in a bag now add the stew beef and shake the bag to coat the beef.
2. Pour beef and flour into slow cooker.
3. Slowly add beef broth to slow cooker, stirring to make sure the flour does not lump.
4. Now add onions, carrots, potatoes, minced garlic, bay leaf, thyme, and Worcestershire sauce.
5. Cook on Low for 8-10 hours or on High for 4-6.
6. Remove bay leaf.
If you wish to prepare this recipe in a stew pot here are the directions...
- Place 1/3 cup of flour in a bag now add the stew beef and shake the bag to coat the beef. Save the leftover flour for later.
- Heat 3-4 T. of vegetable oil in stew pot and add a few of the beef pieces and cook until browned. Remove and brown some more, until all of the the beef is well browned.
- Remove beef from pot and stir in boiling beef broth, stirring to remove the dripping from the bottom of the pot.
- Return beef to stew pot as well as the onions, carrots, potatoes, minced garlic, bay leaf, thyme, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Simmer, covered for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Add reserved flour to 1/4 cup of cold water, slowly stir into the stew. Cook for 3 minutes stirring until thickened.
-recipe adapted from Budget Cookbook,1980
other recipes you might like...
Follow The Shady Porch
If you prefer, you may want to subscribe via Email: